We are a group of Italian scholars in philosophy of mathematics, originally formed at the conference Philosophy of Mathematics: from Logic to Practice, held in 2012 at the Scuola Normale Superiore in Pisa. By sharing our experiences, some common needs have emerged, like a more effective profile of the research in philosophy of mathematics in Italy and a stronger connection between Italian scholars working in this field, in order to encourage exchange of ideas and scientific cooperation.
Activities of the Network
From these needs, the proposal of creating a network arose as a means of connecting Italian scholars in the philosophy of mathematics and in strictly related research areas, either working in Italy or abroad, with special attention to those at early stages of their careers. Beside alerting the members about research news in the philosophy of mathematics through the website and the mailing list, the network will also promote a regular conference in philosophy of mathematics.
The conference will give the opportunity to keep the attention on this field alive at national level, and to make the Italian research community even more visible internationally. We believe that a regular meeting, to be held once a year and a half or two and to be promoted by the network directly, will be a crucial context of gathering and debate.
We also think that the network should coordinate and advertise smaller but more frequent events (single seminars, seminar series, reading groups), with the aim of fostering the exchange between different Institutions, stimulating co-organised activities of different research groups, possibly establishing connections between national and international researchers, also in the hope of creating research groups that may then submit joint research projects for national and European funding.
The members of the initial promoting committee, which will help organise the conference on a regular basis, update the website, and manage the promotion of the network, are:
- Francesca Boccuni is Lecturer in logic at the Faculty of Philosophy of the University Vita-Salute San Raffaele. Further information: home page.
- Gabriele Lolli has been full Professor in philosophy of mathematics at Scuola Normale Superiore in Pisa..
- Carlo Nicolai is Senior Lecturer in Philosophy (Logic) at King’s College London. Further information: home page.
- Marco Panza is Director of research at the CNRS (affiliation: IHPST, University of Paris 1-CNRS) and Presidential Fellow at Chapman University. Further information: home page.
- Mario Piazza is full Professor in Logic and Philosophy of Science at Scuola Normale Superiore in Pisa. Further information: home page.
- Matteo Plebani collaborates with the Philosophy Department of the University Ca’ Foscari in Venice and the University of Amsterdam. Further information: home page.
- Luca San Mauro is a postdoctoral fellow at the Deparment of Mathematics of Sapienza University of Rome. Further information: home page.
- Andrea Sereni (coordinator of the committee) is Associate Professor in epistemology and philosophy of mathematics at Scuola Universitaria Superiore IUSS Pavia. Further information: home page.
- Giorgio Venturi is a Assistant Professor in logic at the University of Campinas. Further information: home page.